I have created the Healthy Potato Salad With Greens for all of us potato salad lovers who appreciate nutritious, delicious, life-affirming whole food! The Healthy Potato Salad With Greens is a nutritious substitute for the old standard potato salad that we remember. The old salad was heavy on the fat and low on nutrition. This version includes greens and beans to add nutrients, flavor, and filling satisfaction.
I’ve batch cooked garbanzo and cranberry beans along with the cashew cream, which I keep in my refrigerator to use in a variety of dishes. But you can use prepared beans if you choose. But, mmmm, I think dry beans prepared in your kitchen have a much better flavor. I also keep a tasty variety of my favorite fresh fruits and vegetables on hand to easily mix and match.
I chose to use a salt-free seasoning in the Healthy Potato Salad With Greens rather than adding additional salt. One of my favorites is Penzey’s Sunny Spain. It is a combination of lemon, black pepper, garlic, and onion. It can be recreated by using a dash of onion powder, a dash of garlic powder, a splash of fresh lemon juice and ground black pepper. Use the seasoning of your choice.
Simple fresh ingredients combined with roasted potatoes, beans, and pickles creates the satisfying Healthy Potato Salad With Greens. I think you will enjoy this!
Healthy Potato Salad
- 6 Medium Potatoes I used Klondike Rose, cut into bite-sized pieces.
- 2 Small Yellow Onions Peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces.
- 2 Large Garlic Cloves Optional. Peeled, cut in half, and remove green sprout from the center.
- 2 Cups Garbanzo Beans Or fully cooked bean of your choice, rinsed and drained.
- 2 Cups Celery Cleaned and diced
- 12 Cups Arugula Washed and dried.
- 1 Cup Dill Pickles Diced
- 6 Green Onions Diced
- 1/2 Cup Red Onion Diced
- 1/4 Cup Dill Fresh, chopped
- Salt and Pepper To taste or salt-free seasoning of your choice. I used Penzey's Sunny Spain Salt-Free Seasoning.
Cashew Mustard Dressing
- 1 Cup Cashews Raw
- 1 Whole Lemon Juiced
- 1/2 Cup Mustard I used Koops Spicey Brown. Avoid added sugar.
- Water Just enough to blend and create a thick, smooth consistency.
- Wash the potatoes and pat dry. Cut into bite-sized pieces leaving the peel intact. Peel the onions and cut into bite-sized pieces. Peel the garlic, cut in half. Remove any green sprouts that have developed in the center. Arrange potatoes, onions, and garlic in the center of a piece of foil. Season with salt and pepper or a salt-free seasoning of your choice.
- Wrap the foil up and over the vegetables creating a sealed packet by rolling the edges. Roast @350 for 45-60 minutes, until the potatoes are cooked through. Refrigerate to cool.
- Cashews for 2-3 minutes in enough water to cover. Drain.
- Add cashews to high-speed blender along with the juice of one lemon and the roasted garlic from the foil packet. Add just enough water to blend while maintaining a thick but smooth consistency. Remove the prepared cashews dressing from the blender and add to a bowl. Add the prepared mustard and blend together.
- Assemble the Healthy Potato Salad by combining all of the vegetables except the arugula. Stir in the Cashew Mustard Dressing. Serve on individual beds of arugula
*All nutrition values are estimates.
Another hearty salad option is the Refreshed Entrée Salad. The combination of fresh and cooked vegetables is beautiful and delicious.
Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow Life Seasoned on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest.
Enjoy your day! Cheers!