Our family’s batch cooking day is enjoyable controlled chaos. We love spending time together, creating memories along with dishes to share or freeze to serve another day. Ending the day with taste testing, critiquing, and laughter as we gather around the table. Even the kiddos love the day of peeling and chopping veggies. Today was all about soup, and Plant Based Italian Chili, a favorite, was on the list.
This recipe includes prepared spaghetti sauce, and it’s essential to read labels. Choose one with the least additives and no sugar.
Mission Extra Thin Corn Tortillas make excellent chips to eat with Plant Based Italian Chili. 1 -2 minutes per tortilla in the microwave, turning halfway through, or a quick air fry is all it takes.
- 1 Large Yellow Onion Diced
- 1 Large Green Pepper Diced
- 3 Cups Celery Chopped
- 1 Cup Mushrooms Sliced
- 2 tsp Garlic minced
- 3 Cups Spaghetti Sauce
- 2 Cups Black Beans Cooked
- 2 Cups Pinto Beans Cooked
- 15 oz Chili Beans Canned, Kidney
- 15 oz Diced Tomatoes Canned
- 20 oz Ro*tel Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies 2 Cans
- 2 Tbsp Chili Powder
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 tsp Cayenne Pepper (Adds heat – optional)
- 2 tsp Crushed Red Pepper (Adds heat – optional)
- 1 Jalapeno Pepper Diced (Remove seeds to reduce heat)
- Lemon or Lime,Fresh, washed and sliced
- Combine all ingredients except lemon or lime and simmer for 30 minutes or until the celery is cooked to taste. If you are unsure about the amount of spicy heat to add, err on the side of caution because the Ro*tel is somewhat spicy already.
- After ladling into a bowl, add a squeeze of fresh lemon or lime before serving. Mmmm~Yum.
Nutrition values are estimates.