Being somewhat confined due to Covid challenges us remain focused on our healthy life habits. To meet her 10,000 steps per day goal, my 86 year old mother has been walking figure eights in her garage using her walker. When she is not walking figure eights for steps, she is dancing to music downloaded to her iPhone blasting on her BlueTooth Bose speaker—feeling lazy? Welcome to my world!
Let’s walk our figure eights, dance to loud music, and top it off with nourishing Whole Food! I like quick recipes that include a nice variety of whole food. This recipe takes less than 30 minutes to prepare, leaves you plenty of time to walk those 10,000 steps, and is bright and beautiful. Enjoy!
- 1 Medium Sweet Potato
- 3 Cups Vegetable Broth
- 4 Slices Food For Life Whole Sprouted Grain and Seed Bread
- 1 Whole Carrot
- 1/2 Small Yellow Onion
- 1 small Beet
- 1/2 tsp Liquid Smoke
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Pure Maple Syrup
- Ground Red Pepper to taste Adds spice, optional
- 2 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- Add 2 Cups of the broth to a pan. Bring to a simmer and set to medium heat. Add liquid smoke, onion powder, garlic powder, maple syrup, and red pepper. Stir to incorporate.
- Cut 4 thin slices of the sweet potato and remove peel. Add sliced sweet potato to the simmering broth. Cook until it begins to soften, turn and cook the other side briefly. This takes only several minutes depending on the thickness of your slices. Do not over cook. The sweet potato should be slightly tender, (al dente like pasta) not mushy.
- While the sweet potato slices are simmering in the broth, preheat your airfryer if it requires preheating. Cut the onion into thin slices. Peel the carrot. Cut ribbons of carrot buy running the vegetable peeler lengthwise as if you are peeling it. Wrap the remaining raw sweet potato in plastic wrap and microwave for 1-3 minutes. Check regularly for softness. When it's cooked through and soft, remove from microwave and remove plastic wrap. Allow to cool slightly before handling. Peel the skin away, mash the sweet potato and drop into a blender. **If microwaving your sweet potato in plastic wrap is a concern, plan ahead and bake it after you have removed the slices.
- Add the onion slices and carrot ribbons to the simmering broth to briefly marinate, about 30 seconds. Remove and add the onion and carrot to your airfryer and cook until crispy. 1-2 minutes depending on your airfryer. Check regularly to prevent burning.**If you do not have an airfryer, cook the onion and carrot in the broth until tender. They will still be delicious!
- Add the remaining cup of broth to your pan of simmering broth and heat through, then use a spatula to scrape all of the broth into the blender with the mashed sweet potato. Add the nutritional yeast. Blend until smooth. If it is too thick to pour, add additional broth to thin.Rinse the pan and add the beet slices and enough water to cover. Bring to a simmer to cook the beets until tender but not mushy. Remove and set aside.
- Use a glass or cookie cutter to cut bread rounds from the center of the bread slices. Toast the bread rounds.
- Assemble your sliders. Add the sauce! Its magic!
Enjoy your day!
Questions or comments? Contacts me at firstname.lastname@example.org
*Nutrients are estimates