- 42 oz Tomatoes Canned or precooked, low sodium, diced
- 15 oz Tomato Sauce low sodium
- 2 tbsp Flour All Purpose or whole grain
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil Extra Virgin
- 2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/4 tsp Red Pepper Ground, adds heat, optional
- 1 Cup Plant Milk Plain, I used Soy or Cashew
Add olive oil and flour to a large saute pan or skillet. Cook on medium heat, stirring constantly until the flour is lightly browned. This is your roux.
Add the baking soda and stir to incorporate.
Add the remaining ingredients. They will foam due to the baking soda, so use caution. Stir to incorporate the roux completely.
If you wish, blend in a blender to break up the diced tomato. Return to the pan to heat to a simmer.
Simmer 5-10 minutes on medium-low heat. Stir in plant milk and heat through on low heat.
*Nutrition Values are estimates.
Serving: 8oz | Calories: 112kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 688mg | Potassium: 581mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 458IU | Vitamin C: 18mg | Calcium: 67mg | Iron: 3mg