- 1 Cabbage 1 Small Head, Green
- 2 Cups Celery About 10 cleaned stalks, ends trimmed. Medium Dice.
- 2 Cups Carrots About 5 medium peeled carrots with ends trimed. Medium Dice.
- 1 Onion Small Yellow, Medium Dice
- 2 Cups Garbanzo Beans Cooked, Legumes of your choice.
- 3 Garlic Cloves Minced
- 3 Bay Leaves Whole, dried
- 1 tbsp Marjoram Dried Leaves
- 1/2 tsp Thyme Dried Leaves
- 8 Cups V-8 Vegetable Juice 64 fluid oz. We add the spicy version. Use Low Sodium V-8 if you would like to reduce the overall sodium of this soup
- 15 oz Tomatoes Canned, Diced
- 2 Jalapeno Peppers 2 or more. I use 5. Peppers are optional. Remove seeds and ribs to reduce heat. Dice small.
- 2 Lemons 1-2 teaspoons of fresh squeezed lemon per serving.
Prepare Fresh Vegetables
Remove about ten stalks of celery from the plant. Trim both ends of each stalk. Rinse to clean. Cut Lengthwise into two or three (if the celery is wide) strips. Dice into med size pieces.
Peel carrots and trim both ends. Cut into strips and dice into medium size pieces.
Peel one small yellow onion. Dice into small pieces.
Remove garlic cloves from the bulb. Peel and mince each clove.
Add these ingredients to a 6 Quart Stockpot. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
If you are adding jalapeno peppers, cut them in half and remove the ribs and seeds if you prefer a mild flavor. Then cut into strips and dice. Add to stockpot with vegetables.
Chop cabbage into bite-sized pieces.
Add the canned diced tomatoes, the V-8 juice, bay leaves, marjoram, thyme, and chopped cabbage to the stockpot. Stir to incorporate.
Bring to a rapid simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce to simmer and continue cooking for 30 to 40 minutes, occasionally stirring until vegetables are cooked. I prefer al dente or firm to bite. Remove Bay leaves before serving.
Add 1 -2 teaspoons of fresh-squeezed lemon juice or several thin lemon slices to each bowl before serving. The fresh lemon creates extra delicious soup! Don't forget this step!
*All nutrition data are estimates.
*This is not medical advice. Always consult your doctor prior to changing your diet.
Serving: 1.3Cup | Calories: 120kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 518mg | Potassium: 779mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 3931IU | Vitamin C: 92mg | Calcium: 101mg | Iron: 2mg